I almost forgot to show you the finished journal. Here it is:
I used a simple Japanese binding technique to hold it all together. It’s nice to have it all in one place, and it’s very tactile, though it will doubtless go in a box and get forgotten about.
What worked well:
- Keeping things simple. A simple sketch and a single technique often turned out best, given the short period of time I had for each one. Day 7 and Day 29 are two of my favourites.
- Actually thinking about the composition in advance. Day 24 worked well because of this.
- Using previous experiments as backgrounds. Day 2, Day 3 and Day 21 were all done on previously inked or painted surfaces.
- Just about anything involving Brusho. I love the bright colours.
- Time-consuming techniques. Although I love the idea of textile pages, these were the ones that took longest and sometimes didn’t work so well because they were rushed.
- Calligraphy. I don’t really have the patience, and somehow it didn’t fit with the style of the rest of the journal.
- Complex collage – again, because it’s time consuming, and needed better planning.
If I try Inktober again next year, I think I will go for fewer, longer pieces. Maybe just one a week. I think the end results will feel more satisfying. I may even try to pick themes off the official prompt list.
Anyway, now that Inktober is over, I’ve got quite a few projects I’ve been waiting to try out – watch this space.